Friday, May 11, 2007

Film, blue skies & the good life. :)

At the weekend when I had my completely crazy and utterly liberating experience with the kit lens I also decided to pick up my film camera. This camera is in all of my memories. I can see, if a little fuzzily, my father carrying the big camera round during every family holiday. I can remember begging him and pleading him to be able to hold it, if only for a second, and to be able to click the shutter. The camera was a fantasy to me - a big black giant of a thing that ate cylinder shaped colourful plastic rolls for food. It was noisy too, and whirred...I yearned to own such a machine. Finally my father relented. I remember, we were in France, I lifted it out of his hands, and placed it round my neck feeling quite the grown-up! I pointed it at the sea and clicked. The love for that feeling has never faded since. I still have that photograph, just as we still have the mighty beast...outmoded as he is now. So I picked up the camera, the one from all my childhood memories, and I loaded a roll of black and white film and I manually focused and I metered and I played. It was freedom all over again.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Hearing the gentle thud of the prints on the doormat is like Christmas. No way will I ever give up digital but I have a newfound love for film again. These were cropped a little but apart from that nothing. I love the raw real life feeling they represent for me.
Today was our first blue sky for a little while. Yesterday I read some words from a friend, about how blue skies are God's gift to us - to help us make it through the day. I never really thought about it that way. But I think this picture portrays that notion perfectly. Such silent soft scenes of nature are empowering in their own way, don't you think?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Today I also received a present in the post [lotsa post for me!] from a Canadian friend. The t-shirt came with this wonderful card - she said she knew I would love it, and boy she must know me well. Thanks K, for the great shirt! That phrase just sums life up...I mean, what's the point if you don't enjoy yourself? :) Have a great day and, remember, like what you do! ;) {Sincere apologies about the quality of the following image}.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

15 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Cute cat! I wish I could have the life of a cat sometimes. And, what about those blue skies!! Amazing!!! I think I'll go out and just soak up the sun for a bit. Thanks for the inspiration..life is definately good. :D

3:31 pm, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Lipglossiping said...

Oh Lulu! That blue sky is incredible! You're lucky... I haven't seen a blue sky for days :(

Gorgeous film images too :)

4:47 pm, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Jennifer said...

your cat is so cute, I love cats I have 14 cats. I love those shoes, nice angle. And that blue sky, WOW, beautifully captured!

7:34 pm, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

These are all fantasitic, I am a film lover too. Loved your story!

8:41 pm, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Allison said...

Look at those film shots :sigh: I miss it too. Beautiful.

9:20 pm, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Dogeared said...

Those are beautiful photos, Lulu, I love black and white, and the grainyness works so well with the kitty pictures!

11:12 pm, May 11, 2007  
Blogger Angela said...

Beautiful film shots. I too pick up my film camera every once in a while to go out and experiment a bit. That cat is really cute! And the blue sky is amazing! Very inspirational phots!

12:33 am, May 12, 2007  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lulu, those film shots are really great. I love the look of film, but I don't have a film camera right now. Where do you get the film developed? I thought it wasn't worth it to do film without access to a darkroom, but maybe a normal developing place is fine? These look beautiful.

That sky is gorgeous, I love sky pictures. And that is such a cool gift! Do you know where your friend got it?

2:33 am, May 12, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Thanks everyone!

I agree, Jinksee...cats just sleep most of the time! Raining here now, yuck!

Lottie, thanks girl! :) It's pouring here now. :(

Jennifer, wow, 14?! TY!

Julie, film lovers unite!

Thanks Allison!

Thank you dogeared..more of my 'blink' style. I love being free.

Angela, it's fun, isn't it? :)

Ellen! :) http://www.lifeisgood.com/
That's the company my t-shirt was made by. They're so cool! I'd never heard of them before. Mine has a Canadian flag on it and a little strip of twill tape at the bottom saying "Do what you like. Like what you do." :)
And I've NEVER developed in my life...only watched other people. It looks great but I just took them round to the camera shop in the high street and they developed it for £6. It would have been less but they scanned them onto CD for me. :) Plus film cameras are really cheap. The one I have is a Canon EOS 650 and you could use your 50mm, not your 30mm, but your 50 on there. It was the first eos camera and they go for about £35 nowadays (used, of course). The AF is broken on mine but most are very good. HTH! Love you!

8:06 am, May 12, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:07 am, May 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great shots, Lulu.

8:08 am, May 12, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Lulu, I *love* these film photographs. I love the look of film; I really, really want to try it. Maybe someday. Also, that blue sky is AMAZING! Wow... the composition is reallly dynamic and I can almost feel the wind as I look at it! :)

Love the shirt - I saw some similar t-shirts when I was in Alberta two years ago and I really wanted one. After seeing your post, I Googled it and found the website... too bad they don't ship to Canada though!

1:25 am, May 14, 2007  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

WOW- that blue sky capture is amazing!! Love the film shots :)

6:50 am, May 14, 2007  
Blogger aboutimage said...

Well, that is some blue! Stunning!

1:09 am, May 15, 2007  
Blogger Christie said...

All gorgeous, Lulu! Your cat is grinning and winking!!!

I always love your positive attitude. I could SEE you standing there and shooting your first picture. So cool.

I also love this song on your blog.

6:39 am, May 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home