Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Freedom.

That seems the right word to describe my feelings right now. At least within photography. In other news I have tons of studying to do; my first exam is on Thursday and I feel confident with that one as it is German [my best subject] but I have Maths next week and am also worried about English Language. Anywho, enough boring stuff. Let's talk about freedom. :)

You know, ever since I found photography, I thought I was FREE. I always thought I was following my own artistic expression and I suppose, to an extent, I was. It was just a little stifled. With film, I shot for myself. Nobody else saw the prints...they were just in the family album so I could take as many blurry grainy OOF shots as I wanted and nobody really cared. Then along came digital, which I absolutely adore. I really do. But at the same time it came, for me, with a kind of oppression....an "Oh, my pictures have to be super clear and super sharp and super smooth and super super bright" to be right. But what is right really? Right is what feels right to you as an individual. The bright colours are definitely my style but often I would think what do OTHER people want to see? And I'd shoot that. Sure, other people liked it and so did I but it wasn't quite the true me.

Then, just this weekend, I picked up my kit lens. Yes, the one talked only about in a dreaded hush in photography circles. That's the one. I found freedom. I could shoot wide, shoot with closed up aps and needed high ISOs, slow shutter speeds....I became a contortionist. Curling up in corners, lying down flat on the ground and jumping in the air to follow my artistic vision. And it was fun. The most fun I've ever had. I didn't think about how other people would perceive my images, or me as a photographer. Not for a moment. I just shot what I loved, before I could even think about anything else. And, ya know, it was SO liberating. It really was. For a while I decided I would just skip outside the circle of convention for a day or two but then I realised that this is what art is all about. It's you, your being and your soul breathed into a photograph. And I think that is what these images are. They are a part of me.

So you might not like them, you might find them too colourful, too fuzzy, too strange...but just know that they are memories and they are me.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Budding Artist~
Thanks for letting me share. As photographers I am sure you'll understand. Whew, that was a long post! BTW, like my Flickr badge on the side now? I do!! BTW, if you ever want any technical exif info or have any questions, don't hesitate to comment and ask. I'd love to answer, especially as my camera has acquired some crazy syndrome where it wipes out EXIF data. Anyways, thanks for reading. Wish me luck in exams! May God be with you, and happiness too.
~ L. x

16 Comments:

Blogger Dogeared said...

You pretty much just said what I think. I've started reading a few photography Blogs, which are linked to by a Blog friend of mine. And they're all good, technically correct photos. Golden rule of thirds. Tilted diagonally framed photos. Yadda yadda.

Most of mine aren't. I nearly Blogged about this, but thought that the friend whose links I followed, might get upset, like it was a dig at her.

It's not. I've not read a camera book in years and years. Even then, I was reading the technical stuff, and had a point and shoot 35mm camera. Talk about unable to do half the things, lol.

I don't always Blog some of my photos, because I think people'll look and think "But that colour's not quite right, the object isn't in the right third, whatever".

And I have to remind myself that if *I* like my photos, that's all that matters. Other people liking them are a bonus. Mine might not (OK almost certainly wouldn't, half the time) win technical awards, but I don't care. They mean something to me. For me, they're mostly a way to remember an event or place. I can look at some of my holiday ones, and remember the sun beating down, the cobbled road, the colourful houses, and know exactly where in the town I was. They mean nothing to anyone else. But they mean something to me.

Which is a rambly way of saying - who cares if it's a kit lens or the colours are too bright or whatever. As you said, you enjoyed taking them, you like the end results. Silence that inner critic which is echoing what is considered "technically correct". Life isn't technically correct, no reason all our photos should be ;-)

And good luck with the exams. If your passion for German is as strong as it seems from your entries, then you'll rock it. And Maths and English really aren't that bad, honestly.

9:31 pm, May 08, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Thanks. :) You said it all.

I'm pretty good at English, but not at Maths. I just worry about English because I am scared I won't do as well as last time! Thanks for the good luck. :)

9:42 pm, May 08, 2007  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You are awesome Lulu, I love your view on things, and thats how it should be you should be free to do what you want how you want with what you want, and not have to hear anyone complain that your doing it wrong. This is your view your way and your style and that is all that matters, and your view is always beautiful, I love all of these pictures, beautifully captured with a great lens!!!

9:49 pm, May 08, 2007  
Blogger Angie Penrose said...

I love these photos! What lucky boys. Wouldn't it be fun to be a kid again? :)

9:52 pm, May 08, 2007  
Blogger rsr said...

Hi Lulu,
I have been reading your blog for about a month or so now and am so intrigued by your talent at such a young age. Like that one day you posted, I have been down some days on myself and my end result compared to the other photos I see on other blogs that are "amazing!!!" (your's included! :) and have to remind myself that God has given me a gift at my own pace and for His glory - not mine....so today you said it perfectly and reminded me of that passion inside that I have for photographing my own little ones and how people see that exact thing and want "that" of their little ones too...what I already have (not that I won't try and improve it!!)not what others have and I want to have...but again...AMEN to everything you said and may God bless you and work through you, in you, and with you with this beautiful and amazing thing we call photography. You truly have been gifted by the Master! :)
Take care! (I would say "enjoy life!" but it's obvious you are doing a darn good job at that!)
Rosie.......:)

2:45 am, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lulu, I'm glad you're feeling so free. That's great! I go back and forth on this, sometimes I feel completely like my own creative force and able to do what i want for *me* etc etc, but sometimes I feel completely like I need to please. Thanks for inspiring me to do more for me!

I love all of these photos, and your personality completely shines through. That one of your cousin holding his artwork is so great, my absolute favourite!

3:01 am, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, when you know what you like, and it makes you happy..then life is good. :D Keep taking 'your' kind of photos..they are marvelous and unique. :D

4:54 am, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Angela said...

I love your view on things. Not only photography, but life in general. Your words always strike me and make me really think. I love reading your posts. I love these photos. I can really feel your emotion in these, especially in #6. Keep shooting 'your' style, they are so awesome, so....you! Good luck with exams!

12:20 pm, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Alana said...

How did I not know you had a blog, Lulu?! This is awesome. :) I'm book marking you, girl!

2:22 pm, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

ALL great1 Love the panning one!

6:06 pm, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Julie ( THE Queen of TyPo'S) This chic can't spell!!! said...

LuLu-BTW, I wont get rid of my KIT, I love it for the same reasons you do. It's the only one I have with a wide angle, and I just love effects and the fact that it is "cheap" makes me ok with gettting down and dirty like you said!

6:09 pm, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Lulu, I just realized that I hadn't commented on your blog for quite awhile, though I have been reading when I get the time! It's just been a very busy couple of weeks with school and everything.
It's a lovely evening right now and I have lots of homework to do... but before sunset I'm going to go out and try to take some pictures that are just for me. I sometimes forget to do that. :) I just love the ones you posted... your style shines through in them and they will bring back many memories someday.

Good luck on your exams!

10:45 pm, May 09, 2007  
Blogger Robyn said...

You go girl! If your photography is fun and you love it then that's all that matters. And who cares what everyone else thinks. BUT having said that, I think these are awesome. Having fun, playing, experimenting, doing it differently is not mutually exclusive to great photography!

2:56 am, May 10, 2007  
Blogger aboutimage said...

Well, I always LOVE your colour. And I like what you have done here with your kit lens. I don't feel the same way about my kit lens, but you have some great shoots here.

Glad your having fun with photography and feeling free. it's a great feeling.

You are an inspiring. I still shoot jpeg but tomorrow I am going out to trry RAW after reading a few of your words awhile ago. Tomorrow is my test day -- finally getting around to it.

3:28 am, May 10, 2007  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

I LOVE these Lulu!!! And you are so right- it SHOULD be fun- otherwise, what's the point! :) I absolutely LOVE the one where the playground is way off in the distance, and of your cousins legs w/his bike :) YOur color is so refreshing- and has tempted ME to shoot in RAW and bump up the colors :)

7:44 am, May 10, 2007  
Blogger Christie said...

lulu, you are just so much smarter than your years! i think so many of us feel the way that you do. great pictures. i really like the hand making cookies.

6:46 am, May 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home