Monday, March 26, 2007

I missed a day!

Sorry! I'm sure you didn't miss me. :) I was really busy yesterday - I went swimming with my beautiful mummy, I studied for a German test, did a photography mentoring assignment and went out too! My sister even let me take photos of her for once. Wow, what a day!
-- A disclaimer...if you couldn't care less about photography and cameras ignore the following! =)
I have had a few e-mails and comments lately asking about my equipment and lenses that I use. So I thought I'd post here!
1) I shoot with a Canon 300D, the D-Rebel. The original. It's light, sweet and noisy at high ISOs but I love, love, love it! The new version is the 400D or the XTi which I'm sure is great too. I also have a Canon EOS 650 (film) with a Sigma 24-70 lens that I use from time to time with B/W film.
2) I have four lenses but I mainly shoot with one and use one other occasionally. I use the 50mm 1.8 80% of the time and the rest of the time the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6. The one thing I hate most is variable apertures but I stick it out when I need the wide angle. I'm hoping to upgrade it to a 2.8 version soon by Sigma/Tamron. :) The other two lenses are old zooms that I use on the film cam.
Yesterday I *finally* got around to doing my mentoring assignment from a sweet, kind and amazing photographer who offered to be my mentor a while back. These are some of the shots I took - we had to interpret our favourite poem in pictures and process them in funky ways to go with the poem. I did "She Dwellt Among the Untrodden Ways" by William Wordsworth. Great guy. :P Here's just a few I took! Thanks to my mentor for being so FAB ~ cannot wait for the next assignment.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
....
And my photograph for today was just a fun idea I had. :) It was a really really beautiful day - sunny and warm so when I got home from school it was still light enough to shoot indoors.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For those of you that don't know, I LOVE to read. I love the escapism of books and the way I can completely immerse and submerge myself into another place, another time, even another world! I write too...I want to be a novelist as well as a photographer and a mother and a teacher (but not all at the same time hopefully)! Anyway, I used to say (when asked) that I liked so many books that I couldn't possibly be expected to choose my favourites.
Now that I am older (and maybe a little wiser) I realise that there are some books that stay with me and which I continue to think of and re-read. I hope the list will continue to grow, but for the moment the books are:
To Kill A Mockingbird --Harper Lee
A Summer to Die --Lois Lowry
The Secret Life of Bees --Sue Monk Kidd
A Little Princess --Frances Hodgeson Burnett
The Diary of Anne Frank --Anne Frank
Of course, I have other books I love but these books will always stay with me. I can only hope that one day another girl will be thinking of her cherished books and that my novel will be on there. I was inspired to write books by the authors of my favourite books and maybe the girl who treasures a book of mine will be inspired to write books. It should be nice, to be part of a constantly shifting circle...and to inspire those you have never met, except through words on a page. My mother, unknown to me, sent a bit of my novel to a publisher...about the struggle of two sisters during the Civil Rights era...and they liked it! They want to talk with me! I might be a writer sooner than I think!!
Anyway....sorry for my massively long hugely colossal gigantic post --I'm just excited about the whole book thing and I guess it makes up for not posting yesterday. :P Thanks so much for reading and a HUGE congratulations to you (yes, you!) if you got to the end of this waffly long post! I don't even know if anything will come of it or if I want to wait or even have it published, if they even like it that much. But anyway... :)
Love Lulu :)

19 Comments:

Blogger mindy~ree said...

well...congrats to me, I made it all the way through to the end! ;) Anyway, I did miss you yesterday!!! I love these shots! The book photo is lit so beautifully!!! I love the first shot (is that your sis?) Anyway, these are all wonderful!! Don't feel bad about missing a day...I missed pretty much the entire week last week! ;) Guess it happens to all of us!

7:15 pm, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Missy said...

huge congrats lulu and well deserved. You must be the oldest 15 year old I have ever met (so to speak) in my life.

"To Kill A Mockingbird" is one of my all time favorites. I am almost 30 and it has stayed with me since elementary school as well as "A Little Princess" and "Charlottes Web".
It makes me sad when my own children watch a movie that was a book before it was a movie before they've read they book. There is nothing like curling up with a good book before bedtime. I'm ashamed to say that my 7 year old was shocked to find out that "Charlottes Web" was a book that I read when I was little.

Maybe one day, your novel will be one of those great books for my kids :)

7:15 pm, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Aww, thanks so much. :) I love you both. ♥

And I;m actually 16 now. :P

7:28 pm, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Congratulations, Lulu! You will definitely succeed in writing, whether now or later. Your prose is thoughtful and interesting to read. You could even do the photography for the book covers!
I wish I could write novels as I love reading them so much, but fiction is not my strong point. I am ashamed to admit that I, the very girl who used to immerse myself in novels during math class in elementary school, have not picked up a single book for myself in almost two years. Homework, photography, the Internet and church takes up most of my life, and I just haven't set that time aside. I know exactly what you mean about disappearing into another world when you read, and I miss that. I think I'll be heading to the library tomorrow afternoon! :)

8:55 pm, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Carley Zarzeka said...

I LOVE all of those books, but one of my favourite book of all time, is Because of WInn-Dixie. They are wonderful shots and i really did miss you, when you skipped a day.-Carley

9:10 pm, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Rebekah...do read! You'll love it again. :)

Carley, you've read them all? Wow. :) Yay! I love the film of Winn-Dixie but had no idea it was a book. The film made me laugh and cry so I will have to check it out. Thanks! And thanks for missing me. ♥ It's nice to know I'm loved.

9:20 pm, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Tanya said...

Its always a pleasure to read your blog! You rawk! And so do your images!

11:20 pm, March 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Lulu. You are so insightful and uplifting.

Your post reminded me of one of many quotes that I keep tucked away for easy reference:

"There is nothing more wonderful than a book. It may be a message to us from the dead, from human souls we never saw who lived perhaps thousands of miles away. And yet these little sheets of paper speak to us, arouse us, teach us, open hour hearts, and in turn open their hearts to us like brothers. Without books God is silent, justice dormant, philosophy lame." -- Charles Kingsley

2:39 am, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

I missed you! LOVE the photos interpreting your poem...very cool.
Your book post made me smile- I LOVE to read, and miss having the time- too many things I WANT to do, not enough time! :) BUT- I have been reliving some of my childhood faves with my own kids- our current bedtime read-aloud is "Charlottes Web" They LOVE it :)

7:04 am, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

Also- wanted to comment regarding YOUR comment on my blog- are you sure you don't have bbf as an option? Look under your menu settings under "Custom Functions" for me it's the 4th option- to change the shutter button/ae lock to 1: AE lock/AF
HTH

7:09 am, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Robyn said...

Lulu. I'm in awe of your ability to write. I have so many thoughts dying to get out onto paper but they always lose so much in the translation to the written word. I guess I'll have to stick to expressing myself through my photography. ps Love The Secret Life of Bees too (and the others, but this is my fave of them) - I'm an avid reader too!

10:59 am, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Tanya ---thank you!! :)

Faith -- thank you so much for sharing that quotation..it is exactly how I feel. Thank you. BTW do you have a blog? I'd love to visit.

Amy -- many thanks. ;) I don't think BBF is an option, I don't have custom functions really..I have the old rebel the 300D...I'll have a look though. I have read on ILP that it's not an option.

Robyn...thank you. I appreciate your visits so much! I am glad you like the secret life of bees. Great, isn't it?

Thanks again everyone. *love, hearts and kisses to you all*

3:43 pm, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Angela said...

Lulu, you are one amazing girl. You seem so mature for your age.

A little Princess and To Kill A Mokingbird were two of my favorites in school too.

Your photos are always so pretty and well lit. And I am lovin' the texture!

4:50 pm, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Missy said...

oh goodness excuse me, your 16 already? okay now i'm feelinng really old lol..

5:21 pm, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Hehe, no worries Missy! :)

Thanks Angela! i really appreciate your comments. :)

6:12 pm, March 27, 2007  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lulu! I think I checked too early yesterday and missed this post. Sorry!

Love the assignment pics, nice job with the texture.

Those are all amazing books, I love them too. Especially "To Kill a Mockingbird," that one really influenced me.

This book really has nothing to do with your list, but have you read "Middlesex"? I read it 3 or 4 years ago and still think about it often. I definitely recommend it. Oh and "The Poisonwood Bible," you might like that one too. Hmm. I'm drawing a blank on things I've read more recently, but I'll get back to you :)

Beautiful shot of the books. I have a soft spot for books of all kinds.

2:09 am, March 28, 2007  
Blogger Donna said...

Lulu, you are truly an inspiration. I wish I had the opportunity at 16 to publish a blog of my life. Keep doing this because someday your children and others will want to know about you and what a better way than to read your everyday thoughts here. Great job and I look forward to seeing more!

10:45 pm, March 29, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have read all of those books each at least twice. :) You have a great taste in literature.

12:58 am, April 04, 2007  
Blogger Katelyn said...

such a lovely lovely gal. and we have the same taste in books..

2:16 am, April 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home