Thursday, July 26, 2007

Back Home

I had a wonderful time in Suffolk, deep in the heart of the English countryside, but am very glad to be back home. I love coming home - inhaling the familiar scent of violets that plagues our home (I'm guessing it's those purple sweet discs I ate as a young child!) - and seeing the new shoots that have sprung up and how my room looks exactly the same...untouched and untarnished. I don't know why but I just love it so.
My friend Katie, aka Katherine, K or Kate, stayed over Saturday night with her family and us girls (that's our mothers, my sister and the two of us) went up to the Tate to see the wonderful photographic exhibition that's on there at the mo, and then her whole family + my little sister and I drove back the 100 miles to their house in Suffolk. I love their family. Our fathers went to school together and we meet up all the time, despite living so far apart. Katie and I are best friends forever and write each other a letter a week. She's a year younger but we get on like a house on fire, despite being complete opposites. Anyways... :) this is Kate...if she's reading, doubt it Miss Forgetful that she is, hi girl. Loved my time at your place, as always!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We had SUCH fun together. Despite being complete and utter soulmates, as friends anyhow, we hardly ever spend more than two days at a time together except in summer, so this was a real treat. They (that's Kates, her parents, her 2 little brothers who I adore, and the menagerie of exotic animals) on a beautiful farm near Flatford and grow alllll of their own food. Imagine that...I'd love it! Want a snack? Just take a stroll in the yard and pick up a few cherry plums and apples whilst you're out there! Heck, you might as well fry a few eggs (kept safe by their seven hens) in the summer sun whilst you're out there! It was pretty difficult to get a good picture of the hens, I did *try* though, because they scattered as soon as you got even a hundred yards close, but I did try! Here's a nice one I loved...that's them through the wheat. They don't have names, which I found pretty sad, so I christened them - Freckles, Spattergroit, Toby, Emmeline, Lucy, Josepha and Michael. :) One of them was SUCH a Michael, I'm telling you! ;P
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
As I was saying, we had *such* fun. I wish I could go and live with them for the whole summer. Because our families go back 30 years, and because I met Katie as soon as she was born, we're like family. Really. My sister and I are treated like extra daughters whilst we are there, and it goes both ways. Anyways, I love being there (how many times is it I've said that now? I hope nobody is counting!) We picked homegrown mirabels and mange-tout, we played bountiful games of cricket in the field, I gave Katherine a photography lesson in the orchard, and we rowed down the River Stour past John Constable's house and workplaces eating sardine sandwiches and boiled sweets as we went. I love days like that. (Hope no-one is counting how many times I use the word 'love' in this post either)!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Mrs. N and I made trips to the farm shop and little Tom, who is naughty as ever, danced his way down the aisles putting 5 packets of chocolate buttons and 3 jelly baby jars into the wooden trolley .... we read Harry Potter for a whole day (I finally finished and I have to say, amazing...my favourite of the whole series!) ... we danced at sunset ... paddled in the brook ... played basketball ... pogo sticked (my new verb for the day!) ... and had so much fun that is too delightful for description. I feel like I walk into another century and another time and place whilst I am there, and I come away all the better for it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The family have a whole HOST of cats and dogs and bird and fish...you name the animal, they have probably had it at some point or have one or maybe eight now! There's the 2 dogs, 2 cats, 7 hens, a disabled and rather screeching pink cockatoo (no kidding!), 2 gerbils, 2 fish in a tank, 2 tortoises and...I musn't forget...70 fish in the pond! It's like a zoo there! The newest addition is Brenda, a Jack Russell puppy, who is the sweetest and naughtiest thing - and the most willing photography model I have met to this date!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
You see what I mean? She should be an Andrex model...they'd love her! And, it's getting late, so I'd better go. I have so much more to say and so much more to post but I have masses of stuff to do tomorrow and don't wish to be too tired for it all! Thanks for reading, and thanks for all your lovely comments whilst I was away. I loved reading them. Goodbye for now...
Love, Lulu. =)

15 Comments:

Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

Welcome Home! :)
Great photos- LOVE the little Jack Russell!!!

3:32 am, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Christie said...

welcome home, lulu! i love how you take us for a trip with each blog entry. i especially love the pictures of the dog! chickens are so hard to photograph! we have 10 chickens and i have never gotten a single good one of any of them.

6:27 am, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Welcome back home! Love your images they are always so mind capturing! I love your canine model, very cute!! Especially that bum shot!!

1:37 pm, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Welcome home!
Thanks for sharing such great photos and fun stories!!
You're as great with words as you are with photos!! Both amazing always! :)

2:20 pm, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Donita said...

I agree with Jennifer on the bum shot! Great pics.

3:29 pm, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Ellen said...

Welcome home Lulu! It sounds like a wonderful week, the kind that should be in a book that you read on a lazy summer afternoon.

It all just sounds idyllic, and the fact that they grow their own food is absolutely perfect. It must have been amazing, and I love your descriptions.

I think the rooster photo is my favourite, but they're all beautiful. The jack russell is so cute! And it's nice to see you again too.

I'm glad you're back!

3:57 pm, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Thank you Amy, Christie, Jenny, Tiffany, Donita and Ellen. :)
Jenny & Donita - it was meant to be of her side profile but she turned just as I was clicking so I got her bum instead. Hence the bad focus too! I love it still though! ;)

4:57 pm, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant shots, Lulu. BTW, do you have bloglines? i am asking because I do and your blog looks fine at your actual URL but on bloglines it looks all funny and wonky. You might want to add yourself and take a look. :)

Great words and pix as usual. Thanks for sharing them with us, Lulu.

4:59 pm, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures, LuLu. I love your blog so much. It rocks!

5:03 pm, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Thanks Hannah ... I had no idea. I do have Bloglines, but I obviously don't have myself added on there. I will try it and have a look, and ask a couple of other Bloggers if it looks the same to them. I'm glad to hear it looks okay at the actual URL too. :)

5:04 pm, July 27, 2007  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Welcome back! :D I know what you mean about the feeling of coming back home after being away..always gets me. :D It sounds/looks like you had a great time. It's so great to be able to spend time with amazing friends..glad you had that chance. :D

9:47 pm, July 27, 2007  
Blogger J said...

just found your blog Lulu....you know i love your posts on ilp...now i can get a daily fix!

10:21 pm, July 27, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Lulu! Love the photos and your story of the wonderful time you had. Sounds like you are having a lovely summer so far! :o)

1:25 am, July 28, 2007  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I love the texture of the hair, this is awesome, LULU, very soft delicate shot, very you.

4:16 pm, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Angie Penrose said...

Great shots Lulu! I love to hear all your stories of your happy fun summer! Thanks for sharing with us.

10:13 pm, July 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home