Friday, July 06, 2007

16060 days

There are a dozen and three things I could talk about tonight: the last Brownie meeting until September, my crazy day, my excitement about going to the seaside tomorrow, just stuff really. But, instead, I want to write about my grandparents and their house.

I love my paternal grandparents unequivocally, you could say more than anything in the world. We are inextricably linked, so alike and love each other dearly. They have lived in their house, a three bedroom semi in the London suburbs for 44 years. Yes, 44 years. My two aunts were born in that house. Forty-four years is 16060 days. That many. Think of all the memories, the history. Eight Prime Ministers have been and gone whilst they lived in that house. Seven American presidents. Countless birthdays, 44 Christmases....think of all those moments in one house. The day they moved in President Kennedy was killed. Since then so much has happened, so much has changed... computers, mobile phones, 9/11, Civil Rights Bill, Women's Movement...so so much.

They're moving now. To a bungalow nearby. I will miss that old house. I could navigate it with my eyes closed, I bet you I could. Often I go there in my dreams...and I know where everything is. The Ribena bottle is in the bottom cupboard as you enter the kitchen, next to the lemon squash and Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers tin which hasn't housed any chocolate fingers since 1973, so I'm told. The calendar hangs on the wall below the red clock with white geometric numbers. The golden bell hangs from a hook on the ceiling in the hall. My grandfather's tartan napkin sits on the dining room table, next to his crosswords and his red Parker biro. I do love that house. Today I went over, just to say bye. I took pictures too. So I can always remember that house. I love it so. But things change, that's life I guess. When I was nine, I wrote in my diary (a pink check canvas book a la Anne Frank) that I wanted to bottle my life up in a glass jar so I could always go back to it. But as much as I loved my life when I was nine, I love it now too. There are things, of course, I miss. The freedom, the lack of homework, my maternal Grandmother....but things anew I adore. So it goes both ways, I guess.
So, here are some photographs that I will treasure of that old house of memories and history. That old house of, essentially, love.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ The old cushion naming wildflowers and plants. }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ Grandma's coloured pegs. }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ Grandad's bonsai trees ready for the move. }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ Flowers in his beloved garden. }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ The notorious red faced clock. }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ I love how you can see my Grandad in the background, moving box in his hand...says so much about the day. }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ The dying apple tree in the backyard which is no surprise, that's it dying, the amount of rope swings it held and we climbed... =) }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ Key in the bedroom door. }
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{ Grandma's hat and favourite magazines on the table. }
Oh...and a PSA, I'm going away for the week tomorrow to the ocean so won't be posting until next Saturday (14 July 2007) .. I'll miss you guys but can't wait. I love the sea. Have a great week and I'll be back in a week with lots of pictures and stories, I promise!
Oh, and hey Ellllllen..hope you had a fab time in Cuba!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what beautiful memories you have and will always keep close to your heart, of your grandparents and their wonderful home of treasures and LOVE. The photos you posted are all wonderful.

Have a fabulous week at the sea! Will be looking forward to hearing and seeing all about it! :o)

11:53 pm, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Lipglossiping said...

Sorry I haven't been around much to comment lately, I've missed checking out your beautiful blog.

You write so beautifully Lulu, and I think I have a new fave picture of yours... that key in the lock, it's reflection in the door... I dunno, it just really 'speaks' to me.

Isn't moving house sad. I still miss my old house (and we left it when I was 8!) I swear to this day that if I ever win the lottery I would buy it back and reconvert the flats back into the one old big house. It would be a total money pit but a labour of love for sure.

Have a lovely holiday! I'm going away tomorrow too for a week by the sea... let's hope it doesn't rain too much for us!

Lottie xx

11:54 pm, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey lulu,
I haven't commented on your blog before, but I stalk you often! Just read over your list of books - we like the same stuff. Cage of Stars was an awesome book, and the Time Travellers Wife is one of my all time faves. Just wanted to recommend a couple more - try Crow Lake by Mary Lawson...and you've probably already read The Kite Runner - but if not - you must! I just finished my second Jodi Piccoult novel - My Sister's Keeper, and it was really good. I'm currently reading The Secret Life of Bees...and then will pick up some of your recommendations...love your stuff, have a great trip!

laureen

5:50 am, July 07, 2007  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

Oh Lulu these are wonderful!!! I think the key in the door is my favorite of them all- but they are all just fabulous- what a wonderful way to capture some images to remember.

6:07 am, July 07, 2007  
Blogger Leigh-Ann said...

wow. love this post.

7:43 am, July 07, 2007  
Blogger Angela said...

What ana amazing way to remember the litle things! I love this post!

9:27 pm, July 07, 2007  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What beautiful memories you will continue to cherish and have for now on. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful memories with us. I love all of these photographs, especially the grandfather in the background shot and the last two pics! Beautiful as always.

1:57 am, July 08, 2007  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I so love your still life shots!!!!! gosh, Lulu, you are just making me want to work harder. You make ordinary things look so interesting. So interior magazine worthy.

Love it.

2:48 am, July 08, 2007  
Blogger Angie Penrose said...

I love this post!! You have such a talent for painting a picture with your words. Thank you for sharing all your sweet memories with us. Your pictures are really great too. You and your family will treasure those. Have a fun trip to the sea!!

11:54 pm, July 08, 2007  
Blogger mindy~ree said...

The key shot is my FAVORITE!! Love love love it!!! Beautiful!!!!!

6:27 pm, July 09, 2007  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lulu, I hope you're having an amazing vacation! Thanks for remembering when I was coming back.. Your blog was the first one I checked, but then I fell asleep without leaving a comment...

I love your photos in this post, and your writing. You'll be so glad you have these, they're so full of feeling and memories I'm sure. I wish I had photos of my grandparents' old home, I feel very much like you do about yours. 44 years is a huge amount of time, I hope they're happy in their new home!

You've been doing great things while I was away.. I love the book shots (I also love books, I have a post planned on that actually), the baking post is lovely, I loved reading your baking memories (can you send me some cookies please?), your cousin is so cute as always, I love seeing him.. Books to recommend? I read "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" and "The Birth House" while I was in Cuba.. I think I like "The Birth House" better (you just get lost in the language, it's wonderful), but both were good. I think you'd like them! Congrats on finising exams, you must be so relieved.. That was a long haul.. Love the shoe shot, the colour in that flower shot is fantastic, and I also want you to send me some cheesecake and strawberries. Preferably in the next 10 minutes, I'm sitting here drooling ;)

Come back soon, lady.

4:20 pm, July 12, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

These are lovely, Lulu! My favourite is the key in the door. These will be memories you'll always treasure - I never thought to take pictures of my old house but there are SO many memories associated with it. ITA with Lottie! If I could I would buy my old house again - it's almost 100 years old now and full of character. :)

Hope you're having a wonderful vacation, and I look forward to seeing your photos from the trip! The seaside is one of my favourite places around here, and though I'm on the other side of the Atlantic I'm sure it's just as beautiful in England! ;)

12:45 am, July 14, 2007  
Blogger Jess said...

lulu, what a fantastic array of memories you've captured. i love every single picture. your story is wonderful. thanks for sharing. :)

jess

7:40 pm, July 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home