Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Books & Bloglines

Today I discovered the joys of Bloglines...so much fun! And I think it'll be much quicker and easier. For those who don't know, it's a way to track the blogs you like and you're notified when someone creates a new post. If you aren't registered, you should be! It rocks!
Anyway, enough about Bloglines, and more about books. As a self-professed bookworm I thought it would be nice to have a thread JUST about books (kinda failed before I started, didn't I?!)....I'm going to recommend some books and I'd love it if you'd recommend some back! I think I shall have this every Wednesday...we'll call it Libellorum Wednesday (because Libellorum means 'little book' in Latin). =) I think it should be fun. And if you're not an avid reader, I hope we can persuade you to come join the Dark Side!
...I love these books. Most I have read recently and really enjoyed, so I thought for my first Libellorum Wednesday post I'd share these with you. I promise not to always recommend so many, but as this post is the first of many...I shall today!
1. The Time Traveller's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger
Brilliant! It's beautifully written and it was recommended to me by so many people that I just HAD to read it. I wondered what the hype was about at first but once I got into it, I adored it!
2. The Story of Us, by Marcia Preston
As a young mother struggles to overcome the death of her son, she embarks on a journey to find the family who received his organs. Raw, heart-wrenching and utterly compelling.
3. Perfect Match, by Jodi Picoult
I do love Jodi Picoult (whose name is pronounced Pee-KOH, I was surprised to recently discover) and was dismayed when I began to find her novels a little similar. This one was the exception. I loved it. Nathaniel was so endearing, as were Patrick and Nina, and the ending was so unexpected I was shocked for days. A great read.
4. The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, by Eva Rice
I keep a reading log of all the books I read and I have a category where I write "This book in one word:"... how sad, I know!...And for this one it was quirky. And this book truly is quirky. The characters have such depth and add so much character and interest to the book. Penelope is incredibly endearing, Charlotte fun and slightly aloof and Inigo, well, read it and you'll see! The great characted names just enhanced its charm!
5. The Importance of Being Kennedy, by Laurie Graham [no picture, sorry!]
As devoured in a previous post, Bobby Kennedy is my hero. His idealism, his belief in his duty to spread goodness and his triumph through adversity. This book is written by the neice of a woman who was a governess and nanny to the Kennedy children and, even if you loathe the Kennedys, is so beautifully written you cannot help but be drawn in. It does not read like a history book, even though it is based on the diaries of Laurie Graham's aunt: it reads like a beautiful, compelling story that cannot be put down until finished!
Hope that's given you some ideas for some summer reading! Now I'd love to hear what books YOU recommend! =)
Love, Lulu. x

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH, LuLu! You are much too hard on yourself. That's a great photograph. If you're that worried though, because I know you!, just take another one tomorrow and replace it. I'm glad you posted tonight.

I have also read the Time Traveller's Wife and loved it too. I have that Jodi Picoult one as well but haven't read it just yet. Thank you for the psa!

The others I haven't heard of. I'll have to look into them. They sound really good. Thanks for the recommendations. I can't wait for next week's Libellorum Wednesday.

By the way, I love that you speak Latin. It's so very cool!

8:22 pm, July 04, 2007  
Blogger Christie said...

i love reading about your reading! here's another recommendation for you. Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. You will LOVE it!

12:44 am, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lulu you are one smart lady and so much knowlesdge wow!!! Beautiful poast and photo as always!

5:45 am, July 05, 2007  
Blogger sherry boles~ said...

I really enjoy reading too... :)
I'm glad that you like Bloglines. I do too. It saves me SO much time!!

7:16 am, July 05, 2007  
Blogger L said...

Here are a few of my recent reads at I highly reccomend.
The Road, Cormac McCarthy
Water For Elephants, Sarah Gruen
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
These are all very good and we seem to have similar tastes in books, I loved the Time Travelers Wife. Anyway have fun reading and keep taking those great pics.

2:04 pm, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Lipglossiping said...

I'm halfway through The Time Traveller's Wife atm... Jodi Picoult's Plain Truth is next on my list.

And yup, bloglines is too convenient!

4:19 pm, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Tiffany said...

I really love your composition, Miss Lulu!!! love the banner, BTW!!!! =)

5:02 pm, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Louisa said...

Another reason to read your blog LuLu - I love love love reading although I never have time anymore. One of the best books I've ever read is the Red Tent. It is a beautifully written book about midwives and the strength of women in biblical times. I love to read books about strong women, especially if they are true life women.

6:44 pm, July 05, 2007  
Blogger willowonthewater.com said...

Oh to have time to read... I love to read, but it just doesn't seem to happen much any more. Hopefully I can get through one of those this summer... if I had to pick just one, which should be?

7:58 pm, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Angie Penrose said...

What a fun idea! I have not been much of a reader but I would like to be. I think I'm going to try The Story of Us. It sounds really interesting. Love your new banner by the way!

9:38 pm, July 05, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

Thanks for the book recommendations! I am hoping to get to the library soon, so I'll have to remember these. :)

1:52 am, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Thanks ladies! I'm glad you like them. ;)

Hannah --- that's exactly what I did!! Thanks for the idea. I love Latin. ;)

Christie -- Ooo, yes, I LOVE Plain Truth. That's one of my favourites of hers, and I loved the ending too. It was great to find out more about the Amish Community as well.

Llear -- Great! Thanks for the recommendations. =)

Lottie -- You're back! How are you doing? Yep, definitely read Plain Truth. It rocksssss!

Tiffany -- Thanks, girl! It was from Shabby Princess.com

Jennifer, Sherry -- Thanks!

Louisa -- I LOVE The Red Tent too. I think we have a similar taste in books.

Willow Dawn -- Hmmm! They are all great .. I think any of them, you can't go wrong! Sorry for not a very decisive answer! If you want a quick and page-turning but well-written read, try Marshmallows for Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson. I just finished it and it was fab!

Thanks Angie. I'm re-reading it and I love it even more.

Thank you Rebekah!!

Thanks again everyone...*kisses*.

11:37 am, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Thank you for the fun recommendations!!! I love your blog and all of the fun things you post!! I have borrowed the Time Travelers Wife from my mother in law, but have yet to make the time to read it~ It is now on the top of my list to make time for and enjoy!! :) Thanks~

2:29 pm, July 06, 2007  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

Great photos :) I have Jodi Picoult's "Vanishing Acts" on my nightstand as next up to read- I'm reading "The Memory Keepers Daughter" by Kim Edwards right now- it's very good!! I've heard a ton of people talk about Time Travelers Wife....I need to read it.

I'm a book worm too :)

6:10 am, July 07, 2007  
Blogger Mary-Ella said...

loved the time traveller's wife too lulu

6:57 am, July 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home