Tuesday, May 29, 2007

One Year.

Today marks one year from the day I picked up an SLR. And, my what a year it's been! I still remember it vividly. I had purchased a Pentax 35mm SLR with a few lenses for next to nothing on eBay and I had packed it away with three rolls of film at the bottom of my suitcase, ready for our trip to the ocean. For the first few days, I left it where it was...neglected to unpack it. I was frightened I wouldn't be any good, unsure of where I should begin. One day I took it with us to the beach. I loaded some colour film, I set it to aperture priority and I started clicking. I found a lifelong love. Those first pictures hold memories that will never leave me...the waves, the crunch of the sand beneath my feet, my grandfather's silhouette as the sun went down and the harbour in all its glory.
Last summer in film...
Since then I have never stopped clicking, never stopped loving. A digital SLR found me in December and I was instantly in love. I still shoot film and I still shoot digital and I love both dearly. Photography makes me happy. Through my lens every flower, every sunset, every smile, seems more precious and a little brighter...a little more vivid. I doubt I will ever put my camera down.
Photography is just one of the many things that makes me happy. There was a thread over at ILP recently about twenty things that make me happy. Writing mine made me think how blessed I am, how easily my fortunes could change and how I must endeavour to appreciate each moment. I think photography helps me do that. So here's my twenty...

Being blessed...which seems to be every minute of the day. I feel so lucky.
My family who are my best friends in the world.
My two kittens – the loves of my life.
The smell of freshly cut grass.
That summer feeling.
Grilled haloumi cheese.
My hobbies ~ photography, writing, reading, knitting, ballet.
Apple juice with crushed ice!
Speaking to my best friend, Katie.
Learning something new.
Blue skies!
Just relaxing.
Watching Doctor Who (!) and ER.
A hot bubble bath, mmmmm.
Music.
Bluebells and green grass...
Writing in my diary.
Homemade Vanilla Milkshakes.
Going to church.
Smiling.

And I sure was happy today, the blue skies finally found us. :)

13 Comments:

Blogger Dogeared said...

Happy one year SLR anniversary! I should work mine out, it's somewhere around January 10th I think. A few days before January 12th, anyway!

Here's to many more years of happy photographing, and thousands of Lulu photos, they're pretty and creative!

6:13 pm, May 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are wonderful images You definatly have a talent.. and enjoy the years and memories to come with your photography

6:27 pm, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah for the blue skies!!
Yeah for the ocen memories!!
And, yeah for you and your LOVE of photography! It shows, and you have amazing, AMAZING shots and stories to share. Love that..

8:12 pm, May 29, 2007  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yeah, happy slr anniversary!!! Your photos are awesome and you always have beautiful words to match, I always love to read and see your view on life and everything around you! Can't wait to see what you have for us in the next year!

9:21 pm, May 29, 2007  
Blogger aboutimage said...

Happy one year anniversary! Love the pics as always

3:29 am, May 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a year! You have improved so much, Lulu. I love your photographs.

8:26 am, May 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work is so inspiring. I loved reading your 20 things. I think I will do that - just for me to look at when I feel sad.

That blue sky is amazing and I love the collage. You have always been gifted at photography.

8:27 am, May 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Lulu! I haven't visited for ages and look, you've gone and got better than me! Silly thing! You rock, Missus.

8:28 am, May 30, 2007  
Blogger Quinn said...

Only a year? You are an amazing photographer!

1:07 am, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Angie Penrose said...

Happy one year!! I'm glad you decided to pick up your camera. Your photos are amazing! Love your song choice too! :)

3:26 am, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Lulu said...

Thanks everyone! Kisses! :)

8:13 am, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Amy (3 Peas) said...

Happy 1 year!!! I NEVER Would have thought you've only been at this a year- you are a born natural my dear!

7:13 am, June 01, 2007  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I'm sorry that I haven't commented in ages! I just had to say that I love your list. I was actually going to post mine on my blog... I still might if I can find it. :)

Also, I love the first photos you took... I think you started out amazingly talented already!

1:48 am, June 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home